Saturday, December 26, 2009

Inglourious Basterds

OK. Here's something fun. I just watched the "Inglorious Basterds" DVD. Way cool, yep. One line it didn't contain --

"The only thing I will admit to is resisting you sons-of-bitches to my last breath."

Bridgett von Hammersmark (the German movie star/spy for the Allies) says this to Hans Landa (quintessential Nazi rat-bastard). Then, cruelly and ironically, he throttles her.

I remember seeing this in the movie.

It ain't in the DVD.

Funny thing. It ain't in the movie, either. I READ it in the PDF of an early draft of Quentin Tarantino's script. (I read the script before actually seeing the film.) The dialogue was so vivid, when finally I did see the film, my mind imagined the line and imposed it on my experience of the film. Hey, it's a strong line. The scene is weaker without it.

My mind re-edited the line back in.

And then remembered hearing it.

Funny how that works, ain't it?

No comments: