Monday, December 31, 2012

Mariah? And?

As a child, I kept my limbs very supple by the use ...

No. Sorry. That's a line from "You are old, Father William" by Lewis Carroll. Wrong bit. This is my bit.

And now for something completely different.

Right.

As a child, I was often confronted by experiences of the direct cognition of emptiness coming at me from the adult world. What Buddhist's call, "Sunyatta the Void" and urban hipsters call, "Shit that don't make sense."

For example?

That shmaltzy song; "And They Call the Wind Mariah."

OK. "They call the wind Mariah." And?

They call the wind "Mariah." They call the wind "Good Time Charlie." So what?

But ... "Mariah."

Mariah.

There seems to be some deep, hidden, underlying significance to the name. After all, the moaning singer seems to be making such a big damn deal out of it. "And they call the wind Mariah." Wow, really. So ... is it an alias? An insult? A sexual reference? And while we're on the subject, who the hell are "They"...?

Whatever it is, whoever "They" were, the adults seemed like they were in on it. I always figured when I grew up I'd understand what the big damn deal was. Nah.

If anyone knows, pass it on.

Thanks.

No comments: