Monday, June 9, 2014

From "Duh" to "Ah-ha!" in 60 seconds


Your best ideas always pop up right after you experience the, “Aggghhhh. I have no ideas! I can’t think! I’m an idiot! Everything I say is stupid!” moment. Always.

ALWAYS.

Why is that?

Because the mind hates thinking.

Paradox, ain’t it?

Yeah. Nonetheless true. And the mind has its reasons.

Thinking is work. Chances are (once we finally reverse engineer the meat computers in our skulls) that’ll turn out to be literally true. X foot pounds of energy expended for every bright idea.

The lazy mind doesn’t want to expend that energy.

It wants formulas, shortcuts, stolen ideas, accepted ideas, clichés, truisms, knee-jerk reactions, rote responses, herd instinct, convention and prejudice.

Anything but X.

The unknown.

A question you don’t already know the answer to.

The blank space of an honest question.

The mind hates that space.

I don’t get it, I don’t know, I don’t know what I don’t know, agghhhhhh.

To confront that blank space?

To actually think about SOMETHING YOU DON’T KNOW?
 
The mind reacts like a rabbit with its leg in a trap. It’d rather gnaw its freaking leg off than stay stuck there.
Thus, the mind returns to its tiny box of stock responses.

Say … Answer #452: “Wedge of cheese.”

Q: What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

A: Wedge of cheese!

You know the answer is shit. But you don’t wanna think about the question.

Dig it, baby.

The incredibly stupid reason you don’t know the answer? You’re not actually thinking about the question!

You’re pretending to think about it. But you ain’t!

If you’re forced to think about it…

Eventually, after much thrashing about, you do.

You go through that moment …

Aggghhhh. I have no ideas! I can’t think! I’m an idiot! Everything I say is stupid!

And there it is.

No comments: